I have learned a lot since my last post. We have taken personality tests to see what type of personality traits we may or may not have. There have been TED talks about our educational system and our idea of what that should look like. On my part, I watched a TED talk with Bill Gates speaking on the shortcomings of feedback to our teachers. What struck me is that in every part of life we need feedback. Why should educators be any different? Even those who are great in their own professions seek feedback. I think back to Peyton Manning and Kobe Bryant. Two athletes at the pinnacle of their own sport. On top of drive, dedication, and pure ability, they both were always looking to get better. They both sought after feedback in their own way. However, I as much as I respect them, we are talking sports. Shouldn't teaching be treated with much more importance?
I would be remiss to not mention the material that surprised me the most. A few weeks back, we watched some videos on social media in the classroom. The numbers regarding social media and the digital age were staggering. It is something that, admittedly, I will have to get used to. When I was in high school, you could count on one hand how many people had a cell phone. However, even those that did were not allowed to have them out. This didn't matter because a cellphone then was only just a cell phone. Now, students have the whole world in the palm of their hands. The biggest takeaway from those videos is that there may be a place in the classroom for this digital world, we as educators just have to find the key to utilizing it in the right way.
On the way out, Fall is in the air. The heat is leaving (although not today). The air is crisp and cool in the morning. This can only mean one thing...football season is upon us.
No comments:
Post a Comment